As you know that filing of income tax return is very important and according to rules and regulation of income tax act you have to file your income tax return for every financial year. In case if you fails in filing of income tax return then don’t worry you can file your income tax return for previous 2 years in current year for which you have to follow the procedure of income tax department.
Basically, filing of income tax return is liability for a taxpayer, he is liable to pay income tax return in every financial year but if a person fails to file his income tax return in prescribed period then he can fill his income tax return with the late fees. Basically if there is no tax liability on an individual or if he has a refund, then there will be no penalty or interest will be charged but if there is a tax liability of an individual and he fails to file his income tax return then there will be penalty or interest will be charged according to rules and regulation of income tax act.
This article talks about the filing of income tax return for last 3 years so you will get an idea about the filing of income tax return.
Procedure to file Income Tax Return (ITR) for previous years
Income tax return for previous years can be filed through offline and online mode. For offline mode, you have to visit the office of income tax department of your city and have to manually fill income tax return form. In the form, you have to mention the all required details like your name, income, liability, financial year and other details which required. If you want to file your income tax return through e-filing then you have to follow the steps of e-filing.
How to file Income tax return for last 3 years
- Firstly you have to visit the official website of e-filing of Income tax return.
- After clicking on the website of e-filing of income tax return, you have to register yourself with your permanent account number and this will be your user id for future references.
- Then you have to select on Income Tax return Forms in ‘Download’ menu and have to choose the financial year. Then you have to choose the Income tax return which is applicable to you. You can also complete the portal yourself by clicking on the Quick e-fill ITR link.
- Then you have to fill that form or you can click on the Quick e-fill ITR link this will fill your form automatically.
- Then you have to select on the button of “Calculate Tax” and then you can check how much tax you have to pay or you are liable to pay. Then you have to pay your income tax return and have to complete the challan details.
- Then you have to click on ‘Validate’ and then check all the information filled. Then you have to save that file and then you have to upload that file. You can save the file for future references.
- Then you have to sing that form, you will be asked to sign that form digitally, then you can select the ‘Yes’ if you have to your digital signature and No if not. Once this process is completed you can download the Income tax return verification (ITR-V). Then you have to take out a print of the ITR-V form and have to sign with blue ink and send to Income Tax Department address within 120 days.